Rear Hub Kits
What are they?
A motor that’s housed in the hub of the rear wheel, with pre-selected number of speeds. Kits include the entire rear wheel, without tires.
What are the benefits?
- Well established and reliable technology
- Offers strong torque
- Better on dirt roads and steep hills than front hub motors
- Cheaper than mid drive motors
- Can be used on carbon fibre frame bikes
- Doesn’t create excess wear on the drive chain
What are the downsides?
- More prone to wheel spoke breakages, especially if carrying heavy loads
- Harder to change tires as no quick release on the wheel
- Not as efficient as mid drive motors, will use more battery power
- Can’t be used on bikes with hub gears